TABS LOADED
FOLDER LOADED
FOLDER LOADED
Retrying
TORRENT PROXY
TORRENT OPTIONS
vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--avcodec-fast'
Try `vlc --help' for more information.
WVlcEngine::event: Cannot create VLC instance. Is VLC installed ?

I have vlc 2.2.4 installed. Coming from 1.2.0…
I’m running deepin linux 15.5 64Bit (debian based).

BR
Michael

Thanks for pointing that out.

I’ll investigate and keep you posted.

Just tested on Ubuntu 16.10 with an updated VLC. It works for me.

For some reason your VLC does not support the --avcodec-fast option.

Could you try to remove the vlc folder and libvlc from your MotionBox folder.

I had the same problem under Lubuntu 16.04.3 (I had originally VLC 2.2.2) and I could solve it doing the following steps:

Maybe only one of the 2 steps are enough to solve the problem, because before the VLC update I tried to remove the vlc folder and libvlc (but not the libvlccore) and it didn’t solve the problem.
After the update (and the vlc folder + libvlc removal) the program still didn’t run, but then I just saw the libvlccore.so and deleted it. After these MotionBox started running.
So maybe the vlc folder, libvlc and libvlccore removal alone enough without the update.

Update:
I tried downgrading the VLC to 2.2.2 after the vlc file and libvlc stuff removal and MotionBox crashed with segmentation failure, so the upgrade also necessary.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @GPL.

Could you try with a clean 1.3.0 install (with the vlc folder and libraries) and tell me if it works ?

I tried to package my own VLC version with the binaries but I’m not sure it’s a good idea.

You are welcome @bunjee.

I tested the VLC 2.2.8 + “unmodified” MotionBox 1.3.0 combination and I got the same crash as before:

DATA LOCAL LOADED
TORRENT PROXY
TABS LOADED
Retrying
FOLDER LOADED
FOLDER LOADED
FOLDER LOADED
TORRENT OPTIONS
vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--avcodec-fast'
Try `vlc --help' for more information.
WVlcEngine::event: Cannot create VLC instance. Is VLC installed ?

I will try to copy the VLC 2.2.8 files into the MotionBox directory and test it if I will have a little time.

1 Like

Thanks, looks like it’s not a good idea to provide the VLC library. I guess it conflicts with the default VLC.

That’s it! Now it works.
Thank you!

1 Like

Alright, I’ll update the Ubuntu archives tonight.

Edit: New archives are online for Ubuntu 32 and 64 bits.

Me again.
New system (Plasma 5.11, vlc 3.0), same problem (can’t get it run), similar message:

./MotionBox
TORRENT PROXY
Retrying
TORRENT OPTIONS
Segmentation fault
Seems to be a pretty nasty error message. No real hint.

Hello @lotionfox,

That’s a strange behavior. I’m not sure what happens there. Maybe it’s related to VLC 3.0 since I didn’t find a way to package my own VLC version (2.2.8) on Linux.

Keep in mind the build has been tested with Ubuntu 16.10. You might have to rebuild your own version.

@lotionfox, If the 1.4.0 still does not run on your system could you try the following archive: http://dl.free.fr/qVfcUqsVr.

You can run it with start.sh.